Press "Enter" to skip to content

Transfer tips from a Vol State Alumni

Last updated on March 18, 2015

by Sherayah Witcher// Guest Writer 

Some of you are probably in your last semester or two here at Volunteer State Community College and have your next college already in mind.

Transferring from community college to a four-year school can be exciting, but it can be a daunting process as well.

There is enough paperwork to make you wonder if you are a signing up for school or to donate an organ.

Here are just a few tips that can make this process a bit easier.

Look for, or ask, an admissions advisor at your new school if there is a list of everything you need for your initial application and then also a list of everything you need to submit after you get in.

This is essential, so that you do not keep getting emails that you are missing another piece of paperwork.

When you have this list you can get everything together and submit it all at once.

Get multiple copies of your official transcript.

You will need to submit a final transcript to your new school and these have been known to get lost in the shuffle, so I suggest getting two or three to be on the safe side.

This also helps if you want to get into another program later.

Apply and get your paperwork in as early as possible.

Paperwork is going to take longer to process at a bigger school, so get it in early because you will want to make sure to have enough time to register for the classes that you need before they fill up.

Orientation might be the last thing you want to do, but most universities require it.

Get all that you can out of it.

It is also another incentive to get your paperwork in early so that you can choose a day that works best for you.

Use this time to talk with an advisor.

This is a few hours that your advisor has set aside to see the people specifically at orientation and it is going to be more difficult to see them later.

Either while you are at orientation or at least before you begin classes make sure to take a good look at the building that is going to house your majorís department.

For example, if you are an English major make sure that you look at the building that the English department is in and get familiar with it because you are going to be in that building for the next couple of years.

The last piece of advice I have for you is that once you get into your new school, make sure you check to see when you need upper level advising.

If you graduated from Vol State or at least accumulating a lot of credit hours you are going to need to get started on that your first or second semester at your new school.

These are just a few tips that I hope help to ease your transition from the wonderful halls of Vol State to your next endeavor.

I wish you all the best in your new adventures!

Comments are closed.

Copyright, 2023, All content is property of the author.